Orthopaedic Urgent Care
Orthopaedic urgent care is focused on the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of injuries and disorders of the bones, joints, muscles, tendons, and ligaments - usually within 24 hours.
When Should you Visit an Orthopaedic Urgent Care?
If you suffer an acute or sudden orthopaedic injury that causes intense pain, then you should visit an orthopaedic urgent care. These emergencies include:
- Accidents and falls
- Bone fractures: These can include deformity of the arm or leg near the wrist or ankle.
- Strains and sprains
- Joint dislocation
- Broken collarbone or AC joint sprain
- Biceps, triceps or quadriceps tendon tears
- Wrist and forearm injuries with an inability to roll your arm back and forth without pain
- Hip, knee, lower leg, ankle and foot injuries with an inability to weight-bear
- Hamstring injuries due to sports like waterskiing
- Cuts that don’t involve much blood but might need stitches
Is an Appointment Necessary for an Orthopaedic Urgent Care?
No. Orthopaedic emergencies can be treated as walk-in patients. We are accepting walk-in patients at our office from 830am – 330pm. If you can call our office (703-393-1667) before coming so we can anticipate your arrival it may make things easier and quicker when you arrive.
What are the Benefits of an Orthopaedic Urgent Care?
Visiting our office at The Centers for Advanced Orthopaedics rather than going to an Emergency Room (ER) or a regular urgent care offers the following benefits:
- Reduced waiting time compared to the ER or urgent care
- Improved access to orthopaedic specialists – why go to another facility first only to be referred to an orthopedic surgeon for final treatment of your injury? We can take x-rays, apply casts and splints, and schedule surgery when needed all in one visit.
- Significantly decreased healthcare costs compared to going to the hospital emergency room
- Lower risk of exposure to other infectious diseases like coronavirus compared to going to a hospital ER or urgent care where there may be other sick patients
What are the Services included in an Orthopaedic Urgent Care?
You receive the following services at an orthopaedic urgent care:
- Consultation for a current condition and prevention of further complications
- Diagnostic services, including x-rays and laboratory tests
- Minor surgical procedures like sutures
- Application of casts and splints
- Physical therapy regimen instructions
- Scheduling of surgical procedures when needed depending on the severity of the injury
Types of Healthcare Personnel that may evaluate you at The Centers for Advanced Orthopedics Urgent Care
- Physician (MD)
- Physician assistant (PA)
- X-ray technician, also called radiologic technologist
What Can you Find in an Orthopaedic Urgent Care?
An Orthopaedic urgent care facility consists of:
- X-ray machines
- Blood pressure monitoring equipment
- Blood collection (phlebotomy) services
- Other equipment specific for diagnosis and treatment of orthopaedic injuries such as fractures, pain, sprains and dislocations. These include casting and splinting material.